LOS ANGELES, (CelebrityAccess) – The Tom Cruise vehicle Mission Impossible: Rogue Nation was the top box office feature over the weekend according to data provided by Rentrak.
The fifth film in the series, Rogue Nation wracked up an impressive $121 million in its opening weekend.
The animated film Minions came in at second place with $51.3M and the Marvel super hero romp Ant Man held at 3rd place with $32.6M.
Rentrak's Senior Media Analyst Paul Dergarabedian commented, "Paramount's 'Mission: Impossible Rogue Nation' shows Tom Cruise's global star power is on full tilt as the latest in the two decades old franchise rakes in an impressive $121 million this weekend in 41 territories, including North America. With 25 markets set to release the film in the coming weeks, including China on September 8th, the film still has a ton of earnings potential on the horizon," said Rentrak's Senior Media Analyst Paul Dergarabedian.
1. Mission: Impossible Rogue Nation – Paramount Pictures – $121.0M
2. Minions – Universal – $51.3M
3. Ant-Man – Disney – $32.6M
4. Pixels – Sony – $30.2M
5. Monster Hunt – Multiple – $27.0M
6. Inside Out – Disney – $22.3M
7. Vacation – Warner Bros. – $14.8M
8. Assassination, The – Showbox – $12.7M
9. Paper Towns – 20th Century Fox – $10.6M
10. Southpaw – Multiple – $10.5M