(CelebrityAccess MediaWire) — SMG's contract to manage the 9,200-seat Sovereign Center and the 1,800-seat Sovereign Performing Arts Center in Reading, PA has been extended through 2012.
"Both venues have enjoyed tremendous success due in large part to the performance of SMG and its position in the entertainment and hospitality industries," said P. Michael Ehlerman, chairman of the Berks County Convention Center Authority. "As operators they have successfully met our high expectations and both venues are now established as successful centerpieces of the community. In particular, SMG's desire to work cooperatively with local businesses, vendors and not-for-profit organizations has greatly assisted in raising the profile of Reading and Berks County as a destination and improved the quality of life in the area."
During its management tenure at the venues, SMG has guided the $43 million Sovereign Center and the Sovereign Performing Arts Center to commnded success, firmly establishing the facilities as notable players in the entertainment and sports industries for facilities comparable in size.
Under SMG management:
- Sovereign Center has been ranked in Billboard Magazines' Top-Ten arena venues;
- Sovereign Center was warded a Prime Site Award by Facilities and Events Magazine in 2003 and 2004;
- Sovereign Center has hosted sellouts including Elton John, The Eagles, Brooks and Dunn, Dolly Parton, Rascal Flatts, Cher, Rod Stewart, Sting, Neil Diamond, Martina McBride, Kenny Chesney and many more;
- Sovereign Performing Arts Center has expanded its Broadway on 6th series by over 10% in each of the four years of its existence;
- Sovereign Performing Arts Center has hosted sellouts of Jerry Seinfeld, Jeff Foxworthy, Pat Benatar, Heart, Hillary Duff, Riverdance, Stomp, and many more;
- Reading Eagle Theater at the Sovereign Center was created to bring additional high profile events to the community; and
- Sovereign Center and Sovereign Performing Arts Center have, along with SMG Food and Beverage, hosted weddings, bar mitzvahs, luncheons, banquets, corporate meetings, civic and community functions.
The Sovereign Center serves as home to the ECHL's Reading Royals. With almost 200 events hosted annually, the venue attracts over 600,000 patrons each year from across the Northeast. — Bob Grossweiner and Jane Cohen