The XFL Does, Indeed, Return

The XFL Does, Indeed, Return

194 0

NEW YORK (CelebrityAccess) The XFL has announced it has returned and will launch in eight cities in 2020.

The massive experiment of WWE kingpin Vince McMahon, which had a bright, shining moment earlier this century, will again be hosted in stadiums starting the weekend of Feb. 8-9 more than a year from now with the help of XFL Commissioner & CEO Oliver Luck. McMahon announced the return of the XFL in January.

“After months of research and consideration, we’re thrilled to announce the cities and venues of the XFL’s eight inaugural teams,” said Luck. “We are committed to being ingrained in the local community and extremely fortunate that our teams will have world-class facilities to call home.”

The XFL “will offer fast-paced games with fewer play stoppages and simpler rules,” the league said in a statement. It will launch with “eight teams, 45-man active rosters, and a 10-week regular season schedule, with a postseason consisting of two semifinal playoff games and a championship game.

“The XFL will also establish a health, wellness and safety program that meets the needs of today’s athletes.”

The XFL, with star player HeHateMe, was by all accounts a hot mess. It launched in 2001 to strong ratings and an interested public but withered after fans became confused to whether it was pure football, choreographed entertainment, or both. However, according to a “30 For 30” ESPN special, the opening scramble for the kickoff (rather than a coin toss) was a huge hit, but caused a tremendous amount of injuries.

“I wanted to do this since the day we stopped the other one,” McMahon told ESPN in an exclusive interview. “A chance to do it with no partners, strictly funded by me, which would allow me to look in the mirror and say, ‘You were the one who screwed this up,’ or ‘You made this thing a success.’”

Related Post