LOS ANGELES (CelebrityAccess) – Sony’s Angry Birds, the popular video game brought to life in film. The animated movie birds were backed by famous voices such as Jason Sudakis and Josh Gad, Frozen's Olaf, knocked Disney off the top. The Birds will most likely lower their flight next week by Fox’s 'X-Men: Apocalypse' which will be headed to the states next week if the U.S. keep following the International model.
comScore's Senior Media Analyst Paul Dergarabedian commented, "An incredibly busy weekend at the global box office was led by Fox's 'X-Men: Apocalypse' with a terrific $103.3 million haul ahead of its North American opening later this week. Sony's 'The Angry Birds Movie' enjoyed a solid international debut a week ago and this weekend along with its North American debut scored a very happy $94.5 million. In other major news, Disney's 'Captain America: Civil War' joined the $1 billion club in global revenue as it rides a wave of great reviews and social media buzz."
Top ten domestic box office scores:
1. The Angry Birds Movie – Sony – $39.0M
2. Captain America: Civil War – Disney – $33.1M
3. Neighbors 2: Sorority Rising – Universal – $21.8M
4. The Nice Guys – Warner Bros. – $11.3M
5. The Jungle Book – Disney – $11.0M
6. Money Monster – Sony – $7.1M
7. The Darkness – High Top Releasing – $2.4M
8. Zootopia – Disney – $1.7M
9. Huntsman: Winter's War, The – Universal – $1.2M
10. Mother's Day – Open Road – $1.1M