(CelebrityAccess) — After a dismal opening domestically, STX's Valerian And The City Of A Thousand Planets came out on top in world-wide box office this weekend after opening in 32 international territories.
To date, the special effects-heavy sci-fi adventure has generated $163.8, well on its way to recouping the estimated $180m spent to produce the film. Written and directed by Luc Besson, the film is based on the French science fiction comics series Valérian and Laureline and has the somewhat dubious distinction of being the most expensive European film ever made.
Hot on Valerian's heels is the Warner's spooky Annabelle: Creation, which has proven to have some staying power in international markets. The prequel added $29.4M to its cumulative take and pushed back the $200 million mark now, a repsectable feat for a genre film, and in stark contrast to 'Valerian' only cost about $15m to make.
Lionsgate's 'Hitman's Bodyguard' rounded out the top three worldwide, and took the top spot in North America over the weekend, adding $19.2M.
The animated musical adventure comedy film 'Leap!'formerly known as 'Ballerina' enjoyed a modest domestic opening, coming in at #3 behind 'Annabelle.' The film, which includes voicework by Elle Fanning, Dane DeHaan, Maddie Ziegler and Carly Rae Jepsen, tells the story of an orphan girl with big ballerina dreams who lands a chance to audition with the Paris Opera Ballet. Originally set to open domestically in March, the film was pushed back several times before finally getting a green light and has grossed more than $60m worldwide.
The top 12 worldwide weekend box office estimates, listed in descending order, per data collected as of Sunday, August 27, are below.
1. Valerian And The City Of A Thousand Planets – Multiple – $33.0M
2. Annabelle: Creation – Warner Bros. – $29.4M
3. Hitman's Bodyguard, The – Multiple – $19.2M
4. Baby Driver – Sony – $16.4M
5. Wolf Warrior 2 – Multiple – $15.8M
6. Despicable Me 3 – Universal – $14.2M
7. Cars 3 – Disney – $13.6M
8. Dark Tower, The – Sony – $11.2M
9. Dunkirk – Warner Bros. – $9.6M
10. Emoji Movie, The – Sony – $9.6M
11. War For The Planet Of The Apes – 20th Century Fox – $7.9M
12. American Made – Universal – $6.7M
The top 12 domestic weekend box office estimates, listed in descending order, per data collected as of Sunday, August 27, are below.
1. Hitman's Bodyguard, The – Lionsgate – $10.1M
2. Annabelle: Creation – Warner Bros. – $7.3M
3. Leap! – The Weinstein Company – $5.0M
4. Wind River – The Weinstein Company – $4.4M
5. Logan Lucky – Bleecker Street – $4.4M
6. Dunkirk – Warner Bros. – $4.0M
7. Spider-Man: Homecoming – Sony – $2.7M
8. Birth Of The Dragon – OTL Releasing – $2.5M
9. Mayweather vs. McGregor – Fathom Events – $2.4M
10. Emoji Movie, The – Sony – $2.4M
11. Girls Trip – Universal – $2.3M
12. Nut Job 2: Nutty By Nature – Open Road – $2.2M