NEW ORLEANS (CelebrityAccess) A crew member who worked on the Mötley Crüe biopic while it shot footage in New Orleans is suing the band and Netflix for severe electrical burns he suffered while on set.
Louis DiVincenti alleges the streaming service and the four band members are liable for the production’s failure to address electrical hazards near the Munch Factory restaurant, according to the New Orleans Advocate.
A power line chock left DiVincenti with second- and third-degree burns over 50 percent of his body, according to the lawsuit, and he spent seven weeks in the burn unit at University Medical Center. The rigging grip is seeking $1.8 million in medical bills in the suit, which was filed March 1 in Orleans Parish Civil District Court.
The Munch Factory had been transformed to look like the Whiskey A Go-Go, with green screens added so that later the scene would appear to look like the interior of the famous Sunset Boulevard live venue.
DiVincenti said he was handing metal pipes that supported the green screen down to crew members when one of the screens came in contact with a power line. An electric current arced through his body and blew out through his right foot, according to the lawsuit.
He was rushed to the hospital where he was given a 2 percent chance of survival, DiVincenti said later last year during a ceremony celebrating the formal opening of the hospital’s burn unit, according to the Advocate.
The burns needed numerous surgeries and skin grafts and his right foot was amputated.
He claims that the production team for “The Dirt” failed to take safety precautions like conducting a safety assessment and making sure the power lines were not electrified.
“Even though all of our safety protocols were in place, an accident did occur and a crew member was injured by electricity,” a representative told The Hollywood Reporter at the time.