Kazaa Media Desktop has become the most downloaded software, having overtaken the previous record-holder, ICQ, by
reaching 229,513,316 worldwide downloads, reports Sharman Networks Limited. Kazaa Media Desktop is distributed without charge and enables its users to download more licensed content than any other application.
"The entire Sharman Networks team thanks users worldwide for embracing Kazaa Media Desktop," said Sharman Networks CEO Nikki Hemming. "Our vision from inception was to develop and prove a model for the distribution of licensed content."
Licensed files, including music, movies, games and software are made available to users through Sharman Networks' partnership with Altnet. More than 20 million licenses are acquired by Kazaa Media Desktop users per month. In 16 months of operation, Sharman Networks has shown that its business model is both sound and successful.
Hemming credits the success of Kazaa Media Desktop to her team's rigorous respect for user privacy and their focus on delivering users the best in usability, security, and speed.
Kazaa Media Desktop features include:
* Seek and Find: Search for and download audio/music, documents, images, playlists, software, and video files in an easy to use interface.
* Gold Icon Files: Licensed content from Altnet including software, games, music and films.
* Kreate: A long-running program that encourages users to generate and distribute original content.
* Family Filter: Default setting designed to filter and remove adult or offensive material from search results.
* Free Virus Protection: Integrated and easy to use protection from Bullguard — when activated, shared folders are automatically scanned on startup and during each download.
* Integrity Ratings: Files labeled by users according to technical quality and completeness of metadata to enhance reliability.
* Help Guides: Orientation for new users, plus web-based, technical instruction to educate users and enhance experience.
* Kazaa Showcase: Promotion platform for premium licensed content.
* Languages: Available in English, French, German and Spanish.
The record for most downloaded applications, as counted by CNET's industry-leading Download.com, was achieved May 23, 2003. Kazaa Media Desktop has been the most popular application available through Download.com for 55 consecutive weeks.