SEATTLE (Hypebot) – Free music proved it deserves space in the album release toolkit in 2008. Because, or some will argue despite, the fact that Trent Reznor gave away an abbreviated version of Nine Inch Nails' "Ghosts I – IV", the release topped Amazon's 2008 MP3 Album Sales chart . Coldplay, which in an unusual move for a mega-group launched its release with a free single, sits at #2. Radiohead, the year's other big free story, came in at #11.
Amazon MP3's emphasis on albums bolstered by aggressive pricing and the online giant's decidedly more mature base helped create a decidedly eclectic mix of top sellers.
1. Ghosts I-IV by Nine Inch Nails
2. Viva La Vida by Coldplay
3. Narrow Stairs by Death Cab For Cutie
4. Juno – Music From The… by Various Artists
5. 3 Doors Down by 3 Doors Down
6. Vampire Weekend by Vampire Weekend
7. Sleep Through The Static by Jack Johnson
8. A Hundred Million Suns by Snow Patrol
9. Modern Guilt by Beck
10. Perfect Symmetry by Keane
See the full Amazon 2008 MP3 Album Sales chart here.