MEMPHIS, Tenn. (CelebrityAccess) Steven Adelman, owner of Memphis’ New Daisy Theatre, which shuttered under mysterious circumstances in December, is facing charges for writing about $20,000 in bad checks to a promoter for a concert last year, according to police.
Acts canceled their dates at the theatre, saying it was closed but that only evidence was a sign of closure were was chain locks on the doors, according to WREG News News.
However, a promotion company told police it arranged with Adelman to host a concert at the venue in November but the owner allegedly wrote the company a check for $19,000 that bounced. The company said it tried multiple times to get in contact with Adelman but he did not respond but, because it was not the first time there were issues with Adelman, the promoter decided to pull the plug on the show.
The promoter claims Adelman threated to sue over the decision and went ahead with the show, according to a police affidavit. However, the company provided Memphis police with a statement June 24 and has never received the money.
Adleman was arrested and charged with theft of property $10,000 to $60,000 in value, according to Channel 3, and posted $3,000 bond. A payment for act ADJ also apparently bounced. Marcus Hill of Hillboy Entertainment said he had a show with rapper Quando Rondo canceled without notice, telling WMC News, “I showed up to find out the building had actually closed.”
“Restoring a 73-year-old building has its challenges,” Adelman said in 2015 during the historic venue’s grand reopening, according to WMC News.
A WMC investigation found nearly a dozen fire code violations at the New Daisy Theater in November including hazardous materials on the premises, and curtains not being up to code.