GLASGOW, Scotland (CelebrityAccess) — A week after the Glasgow licensing board ruled that Glasgow nightclub The Arches had to shutter by midnight instead of its former 3AM close time, the venue's operators have announced that they plan to appeal the decision.
The nightclub had generated bad press recently in a series of drug and alcohol related incidents that included the death of a 17-year-old woman who allegedly took the drug ecstasy at the club.
Following the board's decision, the club released a statement from executive director Mark Anderson said: “We are still stunned by Friday’s decision and at a loss to understand just what more we could have done to provide a safer clubbing environment at The Arches. Over the period under review, we welcomed over 250,000 clubbers through our doors. Of that number, just 0.14% were reported for misuse of drugs incidents.
“What is more worrying is that despite the increased safety measures we adopted on the recommendation of Police Scotland, which had already alienated many of our valued club customers, our successful operation of those policies has resulted in the statistics being used against us.”
The release also noted that the licensing board's ruling likely will lead to the closure of the club, which employs 133 people.
"Glasgow Licensing Board’s decision to curtail the licensed hours of the venue, thus precluding essential club activity, will have a devastating effect on the future of the venue," a spokesperson said. – Staff Writers