NEW YORK (CelebrityAccess) — The parent company of Fox News announced on Tuesday that it had settled a lawsuit with former news anchor Gretchen Carlson, who claimed that former network chairman Roger Ailes had sexually harassed her.
According to the New York Times, 21st Century Fox Corporation's announcement did not provide details on the settlement, but a source told the newspaper that it amounted to 20 million.
"I am gratified that 21st Century Fox took decisive action after I filed my Complaint. I'm ready to move on to the next chapter of my life in which I will redouble my efforts to empower women in the workplace. I want to thank all the brave women who came forward to tell their own stories and the many people across the country who embraced and supported me in their #StandWithGretchen. All women deserve a dignified and respectful workplace," Carlson said in a press statement about the settlement.
The source told the Times that Fox had settled with at least two other women who had made similar claims in relation to Ailes. Carlson's suit was particularly strong as she had discretely recorded her interactions with Mr. Ailes on her cell phone. Carlson told the Times during an interview in July that she had been in “between six and 10” meetings with Ailes where he had made inappropriate comments.
Ailes, the longtime and powerful chief of Fox News announced that he was stepping down two weeks after Carlson filed her suit against the network. According to MarketWatch, Ailes got a $40 million exit package and remains on as a consultant for 21st Century Fox Executive Chairman Rupert Murdoch who stepped in as the interim head at Fox News. – Staff Writers