LOS ANGELES (CelebrityAccess) — Paramount's spy adventure "xXx: The Return Of Xander Cage" took the top in worldwide box office over the weekend, earning an estimated in its debut.
With Vin Diesel returning for the starring role, the film is the third of its ilk in the franchise and follows 2005's XXX: State of the Union (2005), which saw Ice Cube take up the leading role.
The film generated less enthusiasm domestically, only earning an estimated $20 million.
M. Night Shyamalan's suspense thriller "Split" proved to be a return to form for the director, debuting with an estimated $46.0M worldwide and $40.2M domestically.
The top 10 worldwide weekend box office estimates, listed in descending order, per data collected as of Sunday, January 22, are below.
1. xXx: The Return Of Xander Cage – Paramount Pictures – $70.5M
2. Split – Universal – $46.0M
3. La La Land – Lionsgate – $24.9M
4. Sing – Universal – $17.3M
5. Hidden Figures – 20th Century Fox – $17.0M
6. Rogue One: A Star Wars Story – Disney – $16.0M
7. Passengers – Sony – $15.7M
8. Moana – Disney – $15.4M
9. King, The – Next Entertainment – $10.5M
10. Arrival – Multiple – $10.1M