LOS ANGELES (CelebrityAccess) — In the face of growing public outcry over the disappearance and possible murder of journalist Jamal Khashoggi, Endeavor Content is reportedly pulling out of a deal that would have seen the Saudi government invest $400 million into the company.
According to the Hollywood Reporter, paperwork is currently being drafted that would allow Endeavor to kill a deal with a Saudi Arabian sovereign wealth fund, which would have seen the Middle Eastern monarchy take a 5 to 10% stake in Endeavor.
The move comes after Endeavor CEO Ari Emanuel said earlier on Monday that he was monitoring the developing situation and noted that he was “concerned” by the developments.
Khashoggi, a Saudi journalist who has written for the Washington Post since 2017, disappeared after entering the Saudi Consulate in Istanbul on Oct. 2nd to pick up some paperwork. His fiance, a Turkish citizen, waited outside and reported that he never returned.
Turkish authorities have claimed that security camera footage of the day of the incident was removed from the Saudi consulate in Istanbul and that Turkish consulate staff were abruptly told to take a holiday on the day Khashoggi disappeared while inside the building.
Turkish police also claim to have direct video evidence of Kashoggi’s alleged death which they claim took place inside of the consulate at the hands of Saudi agents.
Other high profile entertainment companies have drawn fire for their financial ties to the kingdom of Saudi Arabia following Kashoggi’s disappearance.
On Sunday, comedian Jon Oliver devoted the lion’s share of his half-hour HBO show Last Week Tonight to Khashoggi’s disappearance and took issue with the wrestling giant WWE, who recently signed a ten-year deal to produce events in the kingdom.
In April, WWE staged the “Greatest Royal Rumble” at the King Abdullah International Stadium in Jeddah, the first such event to be held there. They have a second wrestling event set to take place on Nov. 2.
Oliver is a client of WME.