SAN BERNARDINO (CelebrityAccess MediaWire) — planned hip-hop festival has been forced to find a new venue after officials at the National Orange Show Events Center expressed concerns about the size and potential "unruly" nature of the expected crowd, the Press-Enterprise reported.
The festival, scheduled for Aug. 11 has been moved to the Hyundai Pavilion at Glen Helen.
Dan C. Jimenez, CEO and General manager of the National Orange Show Events Center explained that his venue didn't have the facilities to accommodate the crowd. "We took it upon ourselves: Let's be smart." Jimenez said in an interview.
Concerns were raised after an outburst at a March 2006 British Invasion K punk rock concert in which fans pelted police with rocks and bottles. At that time, six people were injured, including one stabbing victim. Jimenez, who was appointed from the board to take over the center this year has made safety a primary concern.
New security procedures have included bag and visitor screening for entrants. "The patrons appreciate the safety" Jimenez told the Press-Enterprise.
Chang Weisberg, organizer for Rock the Bells said that he was okay with the move, that he would prefer to be at a venue where he was wanted instead of merely tolerated. He is expecting 50-60,000 attendees at the festival which will feature performances by Public Enemy, Mos Def, Cypress Hill, Erykah Badu and the Roots. More tickets are available for the show now that its' moved an all previously purchased tickets will be honored at the new location. – CelebrityAccess Staff Writers