Multiple Opera Companies Cancel Appearances By Placido Domingo As L.A. Opera Launches An Independent Investigation
Plácido Domingo. Credit: Ralf Roletschek.

Multiple Opera Companies Cancel Appearances By Placido Domingo As L.A. Opera Launches An Independent Investigation

247 0


(CelebrityAccess) — The fallout has already started for famed opera singer and conductor Placido Domingo after he was accused of decades of sexual misconduct by multiple women.

The Philadelphia Orchestra Association announced on Tuesday that it has canceled an appearance by Domingo as part of its Opening Night concert on September 18, 2019.

“We are committed to providing a safe, supportive, respectful, and appropriate environment for the Orchestra and staff, for collaborating artists and composers, and for our audiences and communities,” a spokesperson for the Orchestra Association said, announcing the cancellation.

As well, the San Francisco Opera also canceled an appearance by Domingo, who was slated to be featured in a concert on October 6th.

“The decision to cancel the concert was made after recent news reports of multiple allegations of sexual harassment. Though the alleged incidents reported did not take place at San Francisco Opera, the Company is unable to present the artist on the War Memorial Opera House stage,” a spokesperson for the SF Opera said.

The Los Angeles Opera, where Domingo has served as General Director since 2003 and previously served as Creative Director, announced they are hiring outside counsel to conduct an investigation into the allegations.

Other organizations are taking a ‘wait and see’ approach. The Metropolitan Opera in New York announced it would await the results of LA Opera’s investigation before making any determination about Domingo’s scheduled performance in September.

Upcoming performances in Salzburg, Milan, London, Zurich, and Geneva are still on, with venues stating that they will take cues from the L.A. Opera investigation before making a determination.

Domingo has denied the allegations against him and in a statement, said the accusations are “deeply troubling and, as presented inaccurate,” adding “I believed that all of my interactions and relationships were always welcomed and consensual.”


Related Post