Elton John Announces Final Tour


NEW YORK (CelebrityAccess) Elton John announced Jan. 24 he will be saying goodbye to the Yellow Brick Road starting in September.

Elton, 70, onstage in New York alongside CNN reporter Anderson Cooper, said that now that he has children (Zachary and Elijah, 7 and 5 years old), his priorities have changed and that his “massive” world tour, which begins in September, will be his last.

The tour itself could last as long as three years.

“I love [my kids] so much and I don’t want to miss them, and I don’t want them to miss me. I’ve had a good run,” he said.

Elton, who did 96 shows last year despite illness (he canceled some of his residency shows in Las Vegas), said the production for the Goodbye Yellow Brick Road Tour will be the best he’s ever had. He said that he and partner David Furnish decided in 2015 that this would be the final tour.

He added that this does not mean he is finished with music and expects to continue to release albums and maybe even write a Broadway show. “I want this to be like saying goodbye to a friend,” he said.

Gucci is a partner in the tour and is responsible for its costumes. Elton is scheduled to perform alongside Miley Cyrus and Sam Smith at the Grammys this Sunday.

The tour kicks off at Allentown, Pa.’s PPL Center Sept. 8. Tour dates are available here.

Related Post