MINNEAPOLIS (CelebrityAccess) — Investigators have determined that the recently deceased pop music icon Prince appeared to have prescription opioids in his possession when he died.
Prince, whose given name was Prince Rogers Nelson, was found unresponsive in an elevator in Paisley Park his residence and recording studio, on April 21.
According to the Wall Street Journal, an unnamed law enforcement official said that the medical emergency which required Prince's plane to make an emergency landing in in Moline, Ill in the week before his death., was not related to the flu, but instead due to the pop star suffering a from a Percocet overdose. The official told The WSJ that once on the ground, Prince was given Narcan, an antidote for opioid overdose in order to revive him.
The WSJ reported that a Carver County judge has sealed a search warrant in the investigation into Prince’s death, and that police have declined to comment on the nature of their search warrant, or what they might have recovered from Paisley Park.
Michael Padden, an attorney in Lake Elmo, Minn., who represented Prince’s half-brother Duane Nelson before his death, said that Duane had indicated on multiple occasions that Prince used both cocaine and Percocet. According to Padden, Duane recounted Prince enlisting people to get prescriptions filled by doctors.
“All I can tell you is that he was under tremendous stress to fulfill the need and that it was hard,” Mr. Padden told the WSJ of his conversations with Duane. – Staff Writers