LOS ANGELES (CelebrityAccess) — Warner Bros. and author J.K. Rowling proved they still have some box office magic when the Harry Potter spinoff 'Fantastic Beasts' opened to an estimated $143.3 million and $218.3 million global weekend debut.
Based on a script by Rowling, with direction by David Yates and starring Eddie Redmayne, Katherine Waterston and Dan Fogler, the film expands on the Potter universe with a new story set in the United States.
Disney's comic book adventure Dr. Strange, held on to the #2 spot, taking an estimated $43.7M worldwide over the weekend, while the animated Trolls slid to the #3 spot, adding another $28.9M to its cumalative total.
The top 10 worldwide weekend box office estimates, listed in descending order, per data collected by comScore as of Sunday, November 20, are below.
1. Fantastic Beasts And Where To Find Them – Warner Bros. – $218.3M
2. Doctor Strange – Disney – $43.7M
3. Trolls – 20th Century Fox – $28.9M
4. I Am Not Madame Bovary – Multiple – $28.1M
5. Arrival – Multiple – $18.3M
6. Hacksaw Ridge – Multiple – $9.2M
7. Deepwater Horizon – Lionsgate – $8.3M
8. Almost Christmas – Universal – $7.0M
9. Accountant, The – Warner Bros. – $5.3M
10. Billy Lynn's Long Halftime Walk – Sony – $4.8M