Academy Awards Officially Goes Hostless

Academy Awards Officially Goes Hostless

161 0

LOS ANGELES (CelebrityAccess) The Academy Awards announced today something that has been known unofficially for the past week: the Feb. 24 broadcast will not have a host.

Although the announcement came today, The Guardian was just one of several outlets to run the news yesterday in an article headlined “Oscars 2019: diverse presenters announced for host-less ceremony.”

Also, at a sit-down with the Television Critics Association today, new ABC Entertainment President Karey Burke promised a less-than-three-hour broadcast and an “exciting opener.”

She was asked if a hostless event made her nervous.

“It did,” she said, according to The Hollywood Reporter. “It no longer does. Ironically, I have found that the lack of clarity around the Oscars has kept them in the conversation. The mystery is really compelling. People really care.”

Last year’s event ran a miserable three hours and 53 minutes, and likely contributed to the low ratings.

“The main goal, which I’m told the Academy promised last year, is to keep the show to three hours,” Burke said. “The producers decided to wisely not have a host and have the presenters and the movies be the stars. That’s the best way to keep the show to a brisk three hours.”

She added that the movies “Blank Panther,” “Bohemian Rhapsody” and “A Star Is Born” will contribute to better numbers.

“I think we’re going to see a big turnout for this,” she said, “At no time in history have we had three best pictures nominees that grossed over $200 million at the box office.”

Related Post