LOS ANGELES (CelebrityAccess) — After three weeks, Disney's Beauty & The Beast was finally dethroned by 20th Century Fox's "Boss Baby" which took the top spot for week box office take, both in North American markets and worldwide.
The animated comedy, which features the voice acting of Alec Baldwin in the lead role, earned an estimated $63.8M worldwide, according to figures compiled by comScore. This weekend's take pushes the film's cumulative box office receipts close to the $200m mark.
Meanwhile, Disney's money making live action animated re-imagining of Beauty & The Beast continued to perform strongly, even after slipping to the #2 spot, both domestically and internationally. The film added an additional 61m in receipts over the weekend, pushing it's global total perilously close to the $1bn mark.
Paramount's live action anime remake Ghost in the Shell held on to the #3 spot internationally, adding 36m worldwide over the weekend, but languished in domestic markets, adding just $7m over the weekend.
Debuting this weekend was the Sony Pictures nostalgia sequel Smurfs: The Lost Village. The film couldn't shoulder it's way into the top 3 worldwide, but managed to earn $36m worldwide, but failed to find traction it what should be it's home market, only generating $14 million over the weekend in North America.
The top 12 worldwide weekend box office estimates, listed in descending order, per data collected as of Sunday, April 9, are below.
1. Boss Baby, The – 20th Century Fox – $63.8M
2. Beauty And The Beast – Disney – $61.1M
3. Ghost In The Shell – Paramount Pictures – $48.6M
4. Smurfs: The Lost Village – Sony – $36.0M
5. Kong: Skull Island – Warner Bros. – $21.8M
6. Going In Style – Warner Bros. – $16.8M
7. Power Rangers – Lionsgate – $12.3M
8. Devotion Of Suspect X, The – Multiple – $9.2M
9. Life – Sony – $8.2M
10. Logan – 20th Century Fox – $6.8M
11. Get Out – Universal – $6.0M
12. Shack, The – Multiple – $4.6M
The top 12 domestic weekend box office estimates, listed in descending order, per data collected as of Sunday, April 9, are below.
1. Boss Baby, The – 20th Century Fox – $26.3M
2. Beauty And The Beast – Disney – $25.0M
3. Smurfs: The Lost Village – Sony – $14.0M
4. Going In Style – Warner Bros. – $12.5M
5. Ghost In The Shell – Paramount – $7.3M
6. Power Rangers – Lionsgate – $6.2M
7. Kong: Skull Island – Warner Bros. – $5.8M
8. Logan – 20th Century Fox – $4.0M
9. Get Out – Universal – $4.0M
10. Case For Christ, The – Pure Flix – $3.9M
11. Zookeeper's Wife, The – Focus Features – $2.9M
12. Life – Sony – $2.4M