LOS ANGELES (CelebrityAccess) — Not even the popular dystopian trilogy, The Divergent Series: Allegiant could war with Disney’s Zootopia and bring the animated family film down from its comfortable pedestal as the number one movie both domestically and worldwide.
Paul Dergarabedian, senior media analyst with comScore, credited Disney with savvy scheduling. “There’s a huge demand for family films like this and ‘Kung Fu Panda 3,'” he added, “Walt Disney Animation Studios' 'Zootopia' continues to dominate the box office around the world and notably in China this weekend grossed an estimated $38.6 million to help bring the animated family favorite's global total to an incredible $591.7 million."
Dergarabedian said there were a multitude of possible factors for the diminished business for Allegiant: strong holdover performances by “Zootopia,” “10 Cloverfield Lane” and “Deadpool”; a decline in interest in dystopian stories after the conclusion of the Hunger Games franchise; the move to split the final book in the Veronica Roth trilogy into two movies; and the looming March 25 launch of Warner Bros.’ “Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice.”
Top ten domestic box office:
1. Zootopia – Disney – $38.0M
2. The Divergent Series: Allegiant – Lionsgate – $29.1M
3. Miracles From Heaven – Sony – $15.0M
4. 10 Cloverfield Lane – Paramount – $12.5M
5. Deadpool – 20th Century Fox – $8.0M
6. London Has Fallen – Focus Features – $6.9M
7. Whiskey Tango Foxtrot – Paramount – $2.8M
8. The Perfect Match – Lionsgate – $1.9M
9. Brothers Grimsby, The – Sony – $1.4M
10. The Revenant – 20th Century Fox – $1.2M