Nobel Peace Prize Concert Takes "Temporary Leave", Will Not Take Place In 2018
By Amber [CC BY 2.0], via Wikimedia Commons

Nobel Peace Prize Concert Takes “Temporary Leave”, Will Not Take Place In 2018

160 0


COPENHAGEN, Denmark (CelebrityAccess) – AP has today (June 4) reported that the Norwegian organization that oversees the Nobel Peace Prize concert has canceled the 2018 edition so that the event may be reviewed.

The concert, which is usually held annually following the award ceremony, was established in 1994 and has since hosted an array of legendary artists including Lionel Richie, Bon Jovi, Aretha Franklin, and Mary J. Blige among countless others.

“People’s media preferences have undergone radical change since the first concert in 1994,” said Norwegian Nobel Institute Director Olav Njolstad in a statement. “This is something the concert organizers and producers are keenly aware of as they move forward. We have struggled to maintain an appropriate level of financing and want to use the year ahead to develop a new format.”

While some have speculated that the cancellation was linked to the recent sex abuse scandal that publically tarnished the Academy’s reputation earlier this year, Njolstad said the decision was based on “a wish to re-think the concert format and content, but also reflects the challenging financial situation of the concert.”

The Nobel Peace Prize ceremony and concert are generally held on December 10th, the anniversary of award founder Alfred Nobel’s death.

Related Post