VERNON, NY (CelebrityAccess) — The promoters of the troubled Woodstock 50 concert have blamed “certain political forces” after the Town of Vernon on Tuesday denied a temporary event permit for the festival.
“In response to the denial of an event permit by the Town of Vernon, Woodstock 50 believes certain political forces may be working against the resurrection of the Festival. Local reports claim Woodstock’s filing for the permit was “incomplete” but that is not the case. Woodstock 50 officials were informed by the Town of Vernon that most questions had been answered and asked only that Woodstock submit medical, safety/security and traffic plans by this past Sunday, which it did.” Woodstock organizers said in a statement to CelebrityAccess on Wednesday.
However, festival organizers indicated that they plan to file an appeal of the town’s decision in a bid to revive the festival increasingly slim prospects.
“With a venue chosen, financing assembled and many of the artist’s supporting Woodstock’s 50th Anniversary event, the organizers are hopeful that their planned appeal and reapplication will prevail without further political interference,” the statement continued.
The rejection includes a 5-day window for organizers to appeal the permit decision, and town attorney Vincent Rossi told Syracuse.com that the town planning board can take up to 30 days to review the appeal.
The town’s decision to reject the permit application came just one day after a town meeting where several officials, including the town’s emergency planning officer and the county’s sheriff, expressed concern about event’s safety in light of the short window left for planning the event.
The three-day festival, which is meant to mark the 50th anniversary of the seminal Woodstock Music & Arts Fair, is scheduled to take place from August 16-18, just 34 days away.