MOBILE, Ala. (CelebrityAccess) One teenager remains in critical condition after five people were shot and two were trampled at the “Teen Bash” concert at The Grand Hall in Mobile, Ala., April 2.
No arrests had been made at press time, according tio WKRG-TV. Mobile Police Chief Lawrence Battiste said all seven victims were between the ages of 15 and 18, and six had been released. One suffered a self-inflicted gunshot wound.
The Grand Hall is considered a “teen hangout. The trampling occurred as people were trying to enter the venue as they fled the shooting outside. The incident apparently began with a fight.
“People were piling on. They were piling up everywhere. There was nowhere to go. Then all of a sudden while I was sitting on the stage I heard gunshots. Pop Pop Pop Pop Pop,” witness Alfonza Jones told the station. “Maybe 5 or 6 gunshots. After it was over I saw people rushing and running. Then I got up and they started shooting again. I jumped up over the bar and people were jumping over on top of me burying me. People were just piling up.”
“When they did the shooting outside it rushed the crowd inside. One of the guys rushed inside with the crowd and started shooting on the inside. Then they had a lot of shooting going on mainly on the outside around the building rushing the kids in and stuff,” said witness Lugene Powell.
The shooting occurred at approximately 10:40 p.m.
“As a matter of fact there happened to be an officer right up the street and was able to detain a few people as they were trying to leave in a vehicle and they started shooting at the other part of the parking lot at the time he was here because they didn’t know he was here,” Assistant Mobile Police Chief Clay Godwin said.
The event poster advertised it as a “spring break teen bash” charging $10 for ladies and $15 for gentlemen, according to the local NBC affiliate.