Thousand Oaks

As Bad As It Was, The Thousand Oaks Shooting Could Have Been Far Worse

230 0


THOUSAND OAKS, CA (CelebrityAccess) — The deadly shooting spree at the Borderline Bar & Grill in Thousand Oaks California earlier this month left 12 people dead but could have been far worse, according to new details that have emerged about the shooting.

The attack, which occurred on Nov. 7, when the suspected gunman Ian David Long entered the bar at approximately 11:18 PM and began shooting.

According to ABC News, Police said Long was armed only with a Glock .45 caliber semi-automatic pistol, which he legally acquired in 2016 at a Southern California gun shop.

Long reportedly fired more than 50 rounds, but still had plenty of ammunition – authorities said he was carrying seven high-capacity, 30-round magazines at the time of the attack, suggesting that he had at least 150 rounds which went unfired.

High capacity magazines, such as the ones Long used in the attack, are both illegal to buy or possess in California but are readily available through retailers in neighboring states.

Ventura County Sheriff Bill Ayub, who became sheriff shortly after the shooting told the Washington Post that no other firearms were used in the attack, but said that Long carried a folding knife and used several smoke grenades during the attack, which contributed to the chaos inside of the bar.

Investigators have still not determined a motive in the deadly attack, but Ayub told the post that Long appeared to be frustrated about financial challenges.

The FBI, which is assisting with the investigation, said there was no indication that Long had been politically radicalized, the Post reported.

“But along with the sheriff’s department, we continue to look to identify any motive,” Paul D. Delacourt, assistant director in charge of the FBI’s Los Angeles field office, told the Post.

Related Post