CHICAGO (CelebrityAccess) — Chance the Rapper announced on Monday that he plans to cut a $1 million to Chicago Public Schools to support arts programming in the financially challenged school district.
According to the Chicago Tribune, Chance announced his plans during a press conference at Westcott Elementary School in Chicago and described his donation as a "call to action" asking for similar measures of support from Chicago's business community.
He also used the opportunity to lob criticism at Illinois Republican governor Bruce Rauner after the two met last week. Chance described the meeting as "unsuccessful" the Tribune reported.
"Gov. Rauner can use his executive power to help get Chicago's children the resources they need to fulfill their God-given right to learn," Chance said per the Tribune. "Gov. Rauner still won't commit to give Chicago's kids a chance without caveats or ultimatums."
"Gov. Rauner, do your job," he added.
According to the Tribune, Rauner did not respond to the criticism directly but noted that he and his wife have long supported the city's public schools and have donated more than $7 million either personally, or via their Rauner Family Foundation in the last few decades.
"While the Rauners are passionate donors to our schools, individual contributions will never be enough to address the financial challenges facing CPS," said Rauner spokeswoman Eleni Demertzis. "It would be helpful if CPS officials came to Springfield and joined in serious good faith discussions about the long-term stability of all of our schools."
Chance, the stage name of Chancellor Johnathan Bennett, is a native of Chicago, hailing from the city's West Chatham neighborhood. – Staff Writers