TORONTO (CelebrityAccess) — A new trial has been ordered for those facing charges in a deadly stage collapse at 2013 Radiohead concert in Downsview Park.
Closing arguments in the case were due to start this week, after more than 40 days of proceedings, but a mistrial was declared after the presiding judge, Justice Shaun Nakatsuru, was appointed to the Ontario Superior Court earlier this year, and ruled he no longer had jurisdiction over the case, the Toronto Star reported.
“My appointment was unexpected and without notice. I know that the defendants have waited a long time for the final resolution of this case. So has the public,” Nakatsuru wrote in his decision.
“There are many compelling reasons why it would be in the best interests of justice for me to finish this. But I cannot,” he added.
According to the Star, the delay may put the case in jeopardy as one of the defense lawyers said he plans to file an appeal seeking for the case to be thrown out over the lengthy, and in his view, unreasonable delays. The motion is scheduled to be heard on Aug. 21, and if unsuccessful, a new trial is slated to begin on on Sept. 5, and continue through May of 2018, the Star said.
Live Nation Canada, Live Nation Ontario and Optex Staging each face charges that they failed to ensure the safety of the stage that collapsed amid high winds, leaving Radiohead's drum tech Scott Johnson dead and three stagehands injured. – Staff Writers