(Hypebot) — Streaming of Country music was up 36% in the US last year according to new data from MRC Data/Nielsen Music
54% of American country radio listeners now report streaming music via Pandora, Spotify, Apple Music, and others every day.
Country Radio plays fewer songs more often
Country radio missed the Old Town Road phenomena entirely, even though country radio listeners appear to be open to more variety, says the study. The Top 500 most-played songs on Country radio, 62% of the total spins come from the Top 100 songs versus only 46% for on-demand streaming.
- Streaming to Country Music grew by 36% from 2018 to 2019.
- 85% of Country Radio P1s report streaming to an on-demand audio service either “every day” or “a few a day’s a week.”
- Radio is playing more contemporary music than on-demand Streaming services. 70% of radio’s Top 100 most-played songs are from 2018 and 2019 versus only 55% of songs from on-demand streaming services.
- Radio relies more on Core Artists playing more songs from fewer artists while on-demand streaming services play more unique artists.
- Radio plays less variety than on-demand streaming services. Of the Top 500 songs on Country radio, 62% of the total spins come from the Top 100 songs versus 46% for on-demand streaming.
- The responses from Country Radio P1 listeners indicate that Country stations either missed or underplayed the biggest hit of 2019 “Old Town Road.”.