LOS ANGELES, (CelebrityAccess) — Universal Studio's animated family-friendly adventure The Secret Life of Pets knocked Disney's Finding Dory out of the top spot over the weekend, taking in a cool $111.0M, according to estimates published by comScore.
Featuring the voices of Louis C.K., Kevin Heart, Jenny Slate and Lake Bell, the film tells the story of pampered pets seeking revenge on a variety of humans for various misdeeds.
'Dory' held on to the second spot, earning studio Disney another $50 million over the weened. Warner Bros. Tarzan took the #3 spot, generating $47.6M in revenue.
comScore's Senior Media Analyst Paul Dergarabedian commented, "It's no secret that Universal's release of Illumination Entertainment's 'The Secret Life of Pets' had a much better than expected debut, earning $111 million this weekend from just 10 territories including a massive North American opening weekend of $103.2 million. With 57 more territories to release the film over the next three months, the box office for these 'Pets' looks to grow faster than a newborn puppy."
The top 10 worldwide weekend box office estimates, listed in descending order, per data collected as of Sunday, July 10, are below.
1. Secret Life Of Pets, The – Universal – $111.0M
2. Finding Dory – Disney – $50.1M
3. Legend Of Tarzan, The – Warner Bros. – $47.6M
4. Cold War 2 – Multiple – $44.2M
5. Ice Age: Collision Course – 20th Century Fox – $32.2M
6. Big Fish & Chinese Flowering Crabapple – Beijing Enlight Pictures Co.,Ltd – $32.0M
7. Independence Day: Resurgence – 20th Century Fox – $29.2M
8. So Young 2: Never Gone – Beijing Ruyu Xinxin Film – $26.0M
9. Sultan – Multiple – $20.4M
10. Mike And Dave Need Wedding Dates – 20th Century Fox – $20.2M